Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Will this be the year? (yeah, third post from me in one day, but who cares?! It's my blog!)

I'm talking about the Cubs making it to the World Series this year. When I'm not dealing with man trouble or job searching, I'm keeping track of my team, the Chicago Cubs. As a Muscatinian (yes, it's not a word, but like I said in the subject line, who cares? It's my blog.) when it comes to baseball you either follow the Chicago Cubs or the St. Louis Cardinals. It's been the cause of a lot of ribbing from friends and associates over the past couple of years.

This year is the hundredth anniversary that Cubs last made it to the World Series. I did some research and learned about the infamous "Billy goat curse". Here it is, according to Wikipedia:

In game 4 of the 1945 World Series, the Curse of the Billy Goat was allegedly laid upon the Cubs when P.K. Wrigley ejected Billy Sianis, who had come to game 4 with two box seat tickets, one for him and one for his goat. They paraded around for a few innings, but Wrigley demanded the goat leave the park due to its unpleasant odor. Upon his ejection, Mr. Sianis uttered, "the Cubs, they ain't gonna win no more." The Cubs lost game 4, lost the 1945 World Series, and have not been back since. It has also been said by many that Sianis put a "curse" on the Cubs, apparently preventing the team from making it back to (but not actually winning) the World Series. After losing the 1945 World Series, the Cubs finished with winning seasons the next two years, but those teams did not enter post-season play.

I'm not a superstitious sort, but you gotta wonder...

No comments: