Monday, June 30, 2008

My characters' backgrounds...

The rest of the cast did this over the weekend, brainstorming about their characters' backgrounds while I was in Iowa City and Nauvoo, so I did it on my own, occasionally tossing out ideas with Kristy when we were bored. I sent this to Scuba and Savannah (since they are most affected by it in the play) so here I post it to you, my faithful readers:

Mary Beale (the Spinster) is about 32 and she was in love with a British soldier when she was sixteen. In fact, he'd given her a promise ring. But sadly, he was killed in a training exercise and she remains faithful to his memory, resigned to never marry because her true love is dead. She doesn't think much of Harry Witherspoon.

My optometry patient is named Katrina Loomis (her friends and loved ones call her Katie) and she's 28. She's engaged to a youngish college professor (in his thirties) who teaches music at a university in New Jersey and she has moved there to be with him. She's been dealing with vision problems for years since she was born with Strabismus (a fancy way of saying she was born with her eyes crossed) and had undergone corrective surgery when she was a baby--I actually went through this myself so I figured why not have her do so as well--so she changed doctors when she moved to New Jersey to be with her fiance. Both she and her fiance are LDS.

I've changed my mind about the name of my southern lady. Her name will be Callie Sue Pickett and she and Daisy Mae Cheek are best friends. Callie is 25 and she's been in love with her childhood sweetheart for years and is now engaged to him. She goes on these trips with Daisy Mae to try and keep her best friend out of trouble and will be going on this trip to Monte Carlo as Daisy Mae wants to treat her to one last BFF trip before Callie's wedding, a Bachelorette party if you will.

The nun will be Sister Teresa and she'll have serious vision problems (like Rita) which is why she mistakes a leper for Uncle Anthony. She's also a bit of a dingbat but has a kind heart.

Because my hair's still growing out, I'm going to use the hairpiece I used when I was in Muscatine! The Musical and have a ponytail for Lucky Stiff. I'm also toying with the idea of asking someone from the branch to be my male model for a prop photo of Callie Sue's fiance. We'll see.

I'm really getting into this production and enjoying it. :) If only we could find an emcee...*insert long and very anxious sigh*

No comments: