Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lucky Stiff

That is the name of the musical I'm doing this summer for the Pearl City Players Theatrical Society. The plot is kinda like "Weekend at Bernie's" with song and dance thrown in, only the protagonist has to take said dead guy on a vacation, per the specs of the guy's last will and testament.

Okay, no more spoilers. If you, the reader, want to know more, you'll have to come to the show. However, I will say that I am playing four--count them, FOUR--different characters in the show. I play:

A British spinster (who lives in the same boardinghouse as the protagonist and doesn't think much of him)
An optometry patient in Atlantic City, New Jersey (which isn't a stretch for me considering the eye condition I was born with, and the astigmatism issues I still deal with!!!)
A southern belle named Sue Ellen Pickett (the surname is my way of paying homage to a good friend who just happens to be my home teacher; and Scuba[our director] wanted me to give the character a name)
And, finally, an Italian Catholic Nun (and according to the script, it's supposed to be played by a guy, but who cares? This is OUR show and we'll do what we want!;))

Because of the diversity of the characters, I'll have to use four different accents: British for the spinster (probably sounding like Natalie Portman in The Other Boleyn Girl), Either my normal speaking voice or a Jersey accent (for the eye patient), a nice, thick southern drawl (time to watch Dallas reruns again!), and Italian (I'm going to have to borrow Dad's copy of The Godfather).

I'm really excited about this show and we open in August at MCC. :)

No comments: