Sunday, October 12, 2008

Two very different concerts in a 24 hour period/Lucky Stiff cast reunion...

In the space of 24 hours, I went to two very different concerts: The MCC Variety Show last night (for the last time), and the University of Iowa Chamber Orchestra concert this afternoon.

First off, the MCC Variety Show last night also became the Lucky Stiff cast reunion. Scuba and Chase were performing in the show, and Courtney, Keeny, Savannah, Dane, and I were sitting in the audience. In fact, the only ones missing were Lauren, Zach, James (our stiff!), Tyler, Brooke (my friend during the summer and my ride during that time), and Brooke O. It was nice to see the old gang again, especially since I'll be moving soon. However, Keeny will be at Coe College, so she might come down to Iowa City or Coralville, wherever Kristy and I end up settled at, to visit me.

The show itself had the 80's and 90's theme to it. There were parts in it that were hilarious! And I ended up dancing the Macarena with my friends as part of an audience participation thing.

Today, I hit the UI Chamber Orchestra Concert with Melissa. It was quite interesting. First on the agenda was a piece by David Diamond called "Rounds for String Orchestra". And like that one concert Jeremy and I went to together, the movements were fused together with no breaks in between (I for the life of me can't remember the actual term for it!). The next piece was "Evocations for Viola and Orchestra" by Michael Kimber featuring solo violist Christine Rutledge. She was very talented. There are no words. =) And Mr. Kimber was in the audience too!

There was no intermission this time around, so they went straight into the last piece "Symphony No. 40, K. 550, G Minor" by Mozart. At last, one composer I recognized. =D Mozart is one of the few composers I remember from my Music Appreciation days! I'm sure Jan will be happy about that. ;)

After the show, we all stuck around to wait for Jeremy. When he finally came out, we all converged on him. "We" meaning me, Melissa, Kristy (my soon-to-be roommate), Nicki, Amy, Emily, and Nicki's boyfriend. We thought he'd done a good job. He's been a busy guy, but the results are amazing. He plays so beautifully. For those reading this, you might think I'm being biased because he and are friends, but I'm not. I know awesome when I see and hear it. In fact, my nephew Brannen is starting violin lessons, and I was hoping to get him to one of Jeremy's concerts so he could hear him play and have something to aspire to.

It was quite a weekend, now I have to get back to work, sorting through my life here and deciding what I'm going to take with me to Iowa City/Coralville once Kristy and I find a place!

Slan go foill...

No comments: