Thursday, October 2, 2008

Getting the college kids to vote early wasn't as easy as I thought it would be...

Yesterday was the day that we had a satellite voting booth at MCC for the kids (and faculty) who wanted to vote early. Liz and I were there from 9 to 3 (I cut out thirty minutes early to run some errands with Mom and then go home). I thought it would be easy and that the kids would take advantage of the opportunity given them to vote early. But there were a few problems...

One: Some of the kids were still undecided. Because it was a neutral place, we weren't allowed to do any campaigning for Obama.

Two: Some of the kids aren't registered in Muscatine County. If they wanted to vote yesterday, they would've had to re-register in this county.

Three: Some of the kids aren't U.S. citizens. I put my foot in my mouth a couple of times asking them if they would like to vote. Oops.

I'm wondering what the final count was. We had just crested 50 voters when I left. Guess I'll find out today. Tomorrow, we'll be having another satellite voting booth in West Liberty. I won't be going there, so I'll be at the office all day tomorrow. It will be interesting and a little scary, but I want to see if I can really do it; be in charge of the office all by my lonesome all day. Now if that isn't a crash course in self reliance, I don't know what is. :)

Slan go foill...

No comments: